The Super Bowl is an incredible spectacle and is one of the most watched events of the year. Along with millions of fans, I look forward to watching the new, creative advertisements. Depending on the teams playing, sometimes I enjoy the ads even more than viewing the actual game. These TV ads usually have me talking about them with my friends and family during the game and on Monday with colleagues at work. Of course that is precisely what these companies are expecting since they are paying millions of dollars for a small piece of air time.
Yes, as a marketer, I am probably more interested in the numbers regarding ratings, shares, ad costs, and viewership than most. Yet, this has led me to encourage you, the insurance agent, to want people to talk about you and your products in a similar manner. It is very important to be relevant in the eyes of your insurance prospects.
Granted, you probably have a smaller marketing budget than that of a major beverage company, automobile manufacturer, or popular dot-com who can afford the $4.5 million dollar 30 second spot. But that certainly doesn’t mean you shouldn’t attempt to get maximum exposure for your personal brand.
Here is a short list of some great places to begin your affordable marketing journey:
- Community events – Make yourself known within your community as a volunteer and/or insurance spokesperson. This can be a great way to network, as well as a way for people to get to know you better so you can earn their trust, respect, and attention.
- Speaking engagements – Another great way for you to share your knowledge and educate individuals on the need of various insurance products is to show your expertise while presenting insurance solutions such as Disability Insurance, Critical Illness insurance and Long-term Care insurance. Opportunities to get in front of groups will also help you become more credible and recognizable to a larger audience.
- Direct Mail – Send prospecting letters. A simple exercise with a personalized touch and a straightforward message can make the difference of someone thinking about income protection, to someone buying income protection.
- Website – Let people learn more about you and the insurance protection you provide in an easily accessible fashion. Allowing people to research you and your insurance offerings from the comfort of their home, favorite coffee shop or workplace can make them feel more comfortable and less pressured. Creating an insurance agency blog can also allow you to show off your expertise and experience while demonstrating your industry know-how.
- Social Media – Social media is a crucial part of any marketing plan. Because there are so many outlets and platforms to use, it can be a bit intimidating at times. Check out the DIS Social Media series to get you started on the right path.
At DIS, we never want you to feel like you are standing on the sidelines. We encourage you to be in the game as an insurance MVP and we are here to help. We look forward to supplying you a quote, offering you innovative selling tools, and suggesting various options for your clients. DIS is here to help you every step of the way.