If there’s one topic I know a lot about, it’s the 80s. Having been born in 1988, I’d say I’m pretty much an expert on all things neon and hip-hop. My first word was “totally” and I was quite fond of parachute pants and oversized earrings as a toddler. Yes, those two years were the best of my entire life.
Okay, so sometimes I exaggerate. To be honest, the extent of my 80s knowledge extends from themed college parties, John Hughes movies and MTV.
Yet despite my lack of true 80s knowledge and experiences, I’ve discovered something of interest. And that, my friends, is that selling disability insurance is exactly like dancing in the 80s.
Sometimes you look good doing it, other times it’s awkward, but mostly, it’s awesome.
So take a moment to relive your glory years, chuckle quietly in your cubical, and remember: to know 80s dancing is to love DI…and you’re about to know 80s dancing.
- The Moon Walk – Sometimes, in the world of disability insurance underwriting, you have to walk backward. Sure, your client filled out the application, promptly took her paramedical exam and had perfect medical records. But then her script check came back. And, unfortunately for everyone, she has quite a history that wasn’t mentioned on her application or in her “only” doctor’s notes. Uh oh. Time to back track and find out more information. It happens. Roll with it.
- The Running Man – Despite how hard you’re marketing, maintaining your twitter account, setting up appointments and meeting with new clients, sometimes it feels like you’re not really going anywhere. You’re running in place, so to speak. That’s okay. You’re getting great exercise to prepare you for your next move. Keep up the good work. You look good, I promise.
- Vogue – Once you have the hang of selling disability insurance, a unique sense of assertiveness will start to pour through your veins. You’ll speak more fluidly, have more clients than time, and you’ll command attention when you walk into a room. Some might call you cocky, but I call you confident. Remember: “It makes no difference if you’re black or white, if you’re a boy or a girl. If the music’s pumping it will give you new life. You’re a superstar. Yes, that’s what you are. You know it.”
- The Electric Slide – Mastering the Electric Slide is like mastering multi-life disability insurance sales. Sure, your happy to dance with your one DI sale, but you know how much more fun you’d have dancing with lots of DI sales. Just like the Electric Slide – the more, the merrier.
- The Shopping Cart – Agents use this move a lot when trying to explain what can be added to a policy. You’re not necessarily grabbing all the riders available to your client; you’re just showing them what it would look like if you did. It’s not your fault you make it look so good.
- The Dirty Dancing Lift – You know that feeling when, after a lot of hard work and dedication, your client’s application comes through approved as applied? And then you get to call your client and air high-five her over the phone? And then you both cheer and grin and feel like winners together? Yeah, that’s basically the equivalent of the Dirty Dancing Lift. Good job, you two. I’m proud.
Are you master of these 80s dance moves? Or are still sitting on the bleachers, hoping someone will ask you to dance?
Before you can truly enjoy DI dancing, you may need learn some basic steps. Download D.I. Dan’s Crash Course here. And don’t forget, disability insurance quotes are fast and easy with our online DI quote engine.