Valentine’s Day is here, and I’m sure many of you have dinner plans this evening. As you enjoy your night out, take a moment to contemplate the similarities between the types of insurance and courses of a meal. This tasty analogy just might help your DI + CI sales!
I like to think of life insurance as the appetizer – most clients get their first taste of protection through a life insurance policy. Once their insurance palate gains sophistication, disability insurance is a smart entrée choice, providing hard-working, lifestyle-sustaining protection. Finally, there’s critical insurance insurance – the crème Brule of insurance meal. Sure, clients can go without, but should they?
Below are a few compelling reasons why you should always offer disability insurance and critical illness insurance to your clients!
- Over 1.6 million Americans are estimated to be diagnosed with cancer in 2012. The 5-year relative survival rate for all cancers diagnosed between 2001 and 2007 is 67%. (Source: American Cancer Society http://www.cancer.org/index).
- Each year around 795,000 people experience a new or recurrent stroke, which is one stroke every 40 seconds. (Source: American Heart Association http://www.heart.org/)
- Each year 1,265,000 Americans have a coronary attack, which is one coronary event every 25 seconds. (Source: American Heart Association http://www.heart.org/)
Hungry for dessert yet? Disability insurance covers lost income, but expenses like insurance co-pays, prescriptions, durable medical supplies, extra childcare and housecleaning are not covered. Critical illness insurance provides a supplemental sum of cash to use for these types of additional expenses that occur when someone becomes critically ill.
How to Sell Disability Insurance + Critical Illness Insurance:
- Request a critical illness insurance quote along with every disability insurance quote, and present it to the client just like you would show a dessert tray. Once you explain the benefits of critical illness insurance, and they know they are qualified, they are more likely to want a bite.
- Just like a big piece of cake, DI + CI offers layers of protection. This fulfills the need of high-income clients. The combo sale can also enhance family protection by insuring a spouse who does not work outside the home.
- Critical illness insurance is a tempting choice for clients who work in high risk occupations and therefore can’t qualify for disability insurance.
- If the clients’ insurance health plan is on the lighter side, a supplemental critical insurance policy can be used to offset large costs of co-pays and deductibles.
- The best part? DI and CI policies come with a handy TO GO BOX! If they lose or change jobs, they can take the coverage with them.